College is an incredible time in your life where you will meet amazing people. There will be people from around the world on your campus any given day of the week. This opens the door to some fantastic dating opportunities. But, you should probably prepare yourself for the realities of college dating.
While some self-professed dating gurus can offer advice for getting women (or getting men for that matter) you should probably read the tao of badass review for a more accurate assessment. Like most relational aspects of life, these things are best learned through experience.
So what are the facts?
- More Women- Ladies, this is possibly rough news for you, but women make up 56% of the college population. Men have more options and you have more competition. It’s rough.
- Virgins- Believe it or not, but not everyone in college is sleeping around. In fact, research says that 25% of college seniors have maintained their celibacy. This is a challenging feat, just ask Olympic athlete, Lolo Jones (read her story here).
- Long Distance- Some people go away to college but retain their hometown romances. In fact, a surprisingly large percentage (32.5%) of college age relationships are considered long distance. It is sometimes hard to let go of those high school romances.
- Spousal Hopes- That old adage about women going to college to get their MRS degrees, is still pretty accurate. In truth, 63% of ladies in college are hoping to meet their spouses while they are there. That means only 2 out of 5 are not trying to get the ring while they earn the real college degrees.
- One Night Stands- This statistic is quite sad. The concept of a one night stand is probably a huge contributor to the fact that 1 in 4 college students has an STD. That makes sense when statistics indicate that 72% of college seniors admit to having participated in a one night stand.
- The Shocker- And not that repulsive sexual imagery one either. No, the real shocker is that a third of college seniors say they have been on less than two dates in the four years they’ve been in college. So, don’t get too bummed if all the “hangin’ out” you do never amounts to dates and flowers. You’re just part of the minimal dating club.
- Cheating- A big factor in college break-ups is contributed to cheating. To learn more about the negative effects of cheating in relationships click this.
- Casual- Studies show that short term relationships are preferred by college students because they allow for greater focus on studies and other academic endeavors. This fact is problematic for the 63% of women hoping to find their spouses in college.
- Vacation- An amusing truth here, is that a majority of college relationships break up whenever a scheduled vacation occurs. So spring breaks, winter holidays and summers equate with higher break up percentages. This probably adds to that one night stand statistic as people breaking up over vacations are probably doing so in hopes of finding someone more interesting while apart.
While college will probably prove to be some of the best years of your life, it can also be completely and utterly life-altering if you choose to participate in sexual activities. Don’t become part of the statistics. Stay abstinent. Learn more here.