Several students in a college life do not find enough time to relax. Everything has deadlines, and before you know it, these deadlines start to dictate everything you do. However, if you are strong willed and you know you cannot let deadlines take over your youth, you will get a good amount of free time to spend doing what you want. Research shows numerous students ignore their health, and eventually, they require to take medicines to keep up with the hectic routines. Read on, and you will see how to keep yourself fit while living on a university campus:
- Take An Eating Break
As busy as your schedule is, or as tight as your classes are, you have to take time out for food. By that does not mean you grab a quick bite and eat it on your way to class. You should sit down either alone or with a group of friends and eat a proper meal at least twice a day. You can do this either in the morning when you wake up and have to have breakfast or midday when it is lunchtime or at night when you are done with your classes and need to relax. You can pick any time that suits you. Moreover, it is observed many students do not get a chance to cook food on campus by themselves, so they have to eat from the cafeteria. That is acceptable as long as you are eating a proper meal.
- Personal Hygiene
A vital part of staying fit and healthy is done by taking care of your hygiene. Personal hygiene includes little things like taking a shower regularly, changing your bed sheets every once a week, keeping your dorm room tidy, et cetera. These things would keep you fresh, and cleanliness allows the brain to function more clearly. Make a habit of doing these little chores every day.
When you divide the tasks and spend just 15-20 minutes on these things, the difference can be quite noticeable. Do not ignore the basics like brushing teeth before going to bed and combing your hair every day. They all come under personal hygiene.
- Install Pull Up Bars In Your Dorm Room
Pull up bars are an excellent equipment for strengthening your upper body and for keeping your muscles healthy. The best pull up bars can be installed anywhere in your dorm room very easily. They are easy to handle and are portable so can be shifted from one place to another. Various companies that manufacture pull up bars do take into account their price range as they know the customers are mostly young individuals. However, if you still find them expensive, you and your roommate can divide the money and get these. In this way, you both can use this equipment and stay fit. There are different categories of pull up bars depending on your weight, size, and need. If you are just commencing, you should consult a gym trainer who can guide you about the bar that suits you best. You can also visit wepullup.com to get to know about the best pull up bars.
- Follow A Routine
This might be the toughest point, but following a routine assist you to stay on top of your game. Your body would not overexert itself and will remain healthy. It does not mean you should not have fun or that weekends are not for attending parties instead you should set some limits/boundaries and stick to these to attain your health goals.
Attending university or college for the first time is one of the most exciting times of your life. It is important to keep your head up and realize that you are going to be responsible for your own life and surrounding and that there won’t be anyone that will clean up after you. It is important for hygienic reasons and health reasons that everything stays clean and reasonable tidy in your dorm room. You don’t want to get to the point where you can’t even find your bed or a clean set of underwear to wear. Before your room gets completely out of control get your mind right and start cleaning. Click here to take a look at dust mites that are in your mattress.
Start by creating a cleaning schedule that you can stick to. It is important to be realistic about the times that you would like to clean. If you share your room with someone discuss the schedule with them and share the tasks. Consider your party and study time to make sure you don’t skip the schedule. While you set up the schedule invest in purchasing a good vacuum cleaner. Take a look at the Shark Rotator NV752 which is a vacuum cleaner that will last for some years and that has enough suction power to get rid of the worst dirt students can conjure up. Vacuuming gets rid of many germs and is ideal for your carpets and your mattress.
Keep your clothes in your closet and keep your dirty laundry separate so that you don’t have to rummage through endless piles to find something decent and clean to wear. It is usually the first thing that happens in a dorm room. A tornado hits and the floor, bed and everything else is covered by clean and dirty clothes. Clothes hampers and a trash cans will make all the difference in your room. You can also invest in a duster to make sure you keep the hard to reach areas free of dust and in turn keep your sinuses clear and your chest open. Click here to read more about maximizing space in your dorm room.
Invest in enough storage so that you can keep your books and personal possessions safely and neatly stored. Dorm rooms are usually small and it is necessary to make the most of the space that you have by packing everything that you use away. The simplest tip to keep your room tidy is to make your bed every day. It is easy to break this rule as you are rushing off to class. Try and refrain from skipping this because that is usually the point of no return for cleanliness. By tidying up after yourself and motivating your roommate to do the same you will make your living experience at college pleasant and almost as comfortable as home. This is your first independence and you want to show that you can handle it.
Yes, college will be some of the best years of your life. However, you might also find that it can be an incredibly lonely experience. That sense of loneliness might provoke you to do something stupid. Like, sneak a pet into your dorm room. You know full well that they aren’t allowed and yet, that need to pet something while you cram for exams all night long, pushes you to the brink. So, here’s your not-so-advisable guide to keeping a pet in your dorm room.
First, let’s talk about cats. We like cats. They are quiet. They don’t require bathing. And they don’t ever have to leave your room. But, unless you are successful at teaching cats how to use the toilet, your room is going to stink. And that will be a dead giveaway. However, there are people who have been quite successful at toilet training their cats. So, if you are fortunate enough to have a private bathroom, then a toilet trained cat will probably be your most successful attempt at keeping a pet in your dorm room.
Things to Know Before Putting Any Pet in Your Dorm Room
As we mentioned at the beginning of this piece, hiding a pet is really not a bright thing to do. At the very least, you will have to get rid of your beloved animal. At the worst, you could face serious fines and even expulsion. This is not a feat to take lightly. Your college career, and the life of your pet, is at stake. But, if you just can’t help yourself, consider these steps before making your move:
- Research– Before adopting any animal, you should do all the necessary research to ensure you are capable of providing it with a happy life. But, when it comes to keeping an animal in a dorm room, there are other considerations to be faced. Can that pet live indoors all the days of its life and still be happy and healthy? Can you afford to feed it? These are all very valid things to think about. Learn more about pets.
- Sneaking it in– Now that you have chosen the pet that is right for you and your budget, getting your wee thing into the dorm undetected is the next step. There is safety in numbers, so enter the dorm in a group, with your pet safely concealed in the center of said group. Hopefully, you have chosen a silent pet so no odd noises will draw attention to your stealth.
- Keeping it hidden– You might have gotten past the security at the front desk, and even your RA, but how are you going to keep that thing hidden? Keep in mind, that your pet’s safety is more important than its hiding place. Make sure that you have ample space for concealment in an area that will still provide all that your adopted loved one requires. Buddy up to the RA so that you know in advance about fire drills and other “surprise” inspections. That will help ensure your pet stays hidden. Click this for more hiding secrets.
Please keep in mind that hiding a pet in a dorm room is a risk for you and sweet “Smoochie.” Don’t make this decision based on impulse. Be sure you are prepared to provide and persevere. Smoochie is depending on you! If you need more information about taking pet ownership seriously, read this.
You know that you are away from your home but it does not mean that you cannot make your dorm room smell amazing. It can be hard if you have a roommate who does not care about how her side of the room smells and looks but at least, you can always change your side of the room to help it reflect your personality.
You may be tempted to purchase conventional air fresheners that can be purchased from different stores because the moment that you open them, your dorm room will start smelling good but are you aware that these air fresheners are full of chemicals that can harm you in the long run? You can always search for most effective air purifiers but there are still other natural ways that you can do to keep your side of the room fresh and comfortable.
Here are just a few of the things that you can do:
- Make sure that you will find time to clean your room.
Whenever you open your room, do not forget to open your windows so that you can let the natural air go inside your room. Natural air as well as sunlight can naturally kill some bacteria that may have gotten stuck in your room. You will also let the toxins inside your room go out.
- Keep your bed clean.
This is the place where you would usually hang out and rest. If in case you have not washed your sheets yet, remember that you should do it once a week. Do not forget your pillow cases too. At times, you may have to air out your mattress and your pillows to get rid of any unwanted smell and bad bacteria that may be lurking in your bed.
- Wipe your desk and different surfaces.
There are a lot of supplies that you can use to clean but these may also be full of chemicals and other ingredients that will not be too good for your home. In order to make your own cleaner, you can use white vinegar, water and olive oil. Remember that this will depend on the type of surface that you are going to clean. If you have some antiques inside your room, you may need to use special cleaning supplies to clean the surfaces effectively.
- Avoid smoking inside your room.
You are not recommended to smoke. Some universities and colleges have rules against their students who smoke. Even if you try to get away from it from time to time, you are still not recommended to smoke inside your room especially if you aspire to make it smell fresh.
- Remove your trash immediately.
There will be days when you just want to rest inside your dorm room and relax. You may eat chips and a lot of other snacks. Always keep your trash can empty. If you have accumulated trash inside your room, dispose of the trash properly. Spray some lemon and water on the trash can too to get rid of toxins and the awful smell.
The things that you can do in order to keep your dorm room smelling fresh is very easy. Try out these different methods now.
One of the issues that students usually have when they are living away from home is they miss their old room. They may not want to admit it because they are already old enough to live on their own. If you are a student and you would like to make your dorm room feel more like home, you may first invest in the right mattress that will make your bed more comfortable than usual.
You can already expect that your childhood home is going to be different from your dorm room but this does not mean that you cannot make your dorm as close to home as possible. While you cannot check http://hardwoodplaza.com to purchase new floors so that you can change your flooring, there are other things in your dorm room that you can change.
- If you have your very own dorm room, you can decorate it the way that you want provided that you are abiding by the rules stated by the landlord. Perhaps you can see some stains that are on the floor. You can cover it up by making sure that you will have a rug that can cover the floor so that it will look neater and of course, it can look cuter than the standard dorm rooms that you see.
- If you want to make your dorm room more fragrant than usual, you have to steer clear from different candles and incense because these things are not allowed in dorm rooms. There are some plants that will give your room a nice smell. At the same time, there are also some fragrance sprays that will allow your room to smell amazing without having to make your room a fire hazard.
- You may want to frame your posters, your art and even your photographs. There is a big possibility that you want to make your room look amazing but you are having a hard time searching for amazing looking decorations that will make you feel more grown up. Framing the old posters that you have can make them look more refined. You may get more ideas about that from here.
- You may want to have a clothes hamper wherein you can place all of your clothes before you wash it. If you want to make your dorm room clutter free, you should make an effort to place your dirty clothes in a clothes hamper until such time when you are going to take them to the laundry. When choosing the right clothes hamper, look for one that can look amazing with the design of your dorm room.
- You can bring your very own duvet or your very own blanket that you can use on your dorm bed so that it will be somewhat familiar. You know that blankets and duvets have different textures. If you are not comfortable with your dorm bed. Using something that you are familiar with can make a lot of difference.
Remember that your dorm room can never replace the sense of familiarity and contentment that you may have when you are inside your real home but the things that are mentioned above can make a lot of difference.
Spending time at college away from your home, friends and family can often become stressful and boring. If you’re a new student or if you are having a hard time fitting in at your new college, chances are you will be spending most of your time locked up in your dorm room. You’re also more likely to spend a lot of your time in your dorm room if you aren’t very social.
Spending huge amounts of time in your dorm room obviously gets monotonous with time. Here are some ways you can pass your time and enjoy a bit while you do so:
- Play online games. The internet is full of websites which give you the option to play millions of games online. From cooking to dating to physics-related to racing games; there are billions of games that you can play online to kill time. In addition to that, these games can also be played online with other people connected from all over the world. Try out games like Crazy Taxi, Call of Duty or The Sims. All you need is a good computer and a good internet connection, and voila! You are now ready to play games and up your career as a game player.
- Watch seasons online. If you have a lot of spare time on your hands to kill, you can simply watch seasons online. There are thousands of seasons available online matching your preferences. So whether you’re into comedy seasons or thriller seasons, there will be different television seasons available according to your likings. You can kill time by watching serie streaming like game of thrones season 6 which is one of the best seasons available these days. Other recommendations include Narcos, Quantico, New Girl, F.R.I.E.N.D.S etc.
- Make money online through freelancing. If you want to spend time and make some money out of it as well, you can enter the world of freelancing. There are websites that allow you to set up your profile as a freelancer and put your skills to use to make some money. So, whether you are a good writer or you have your way with graphics, you can put yourself to work and earn some good cash out of it.
- Learn a new skill. The best thing to do with your time would be to spend it in a productive way. You can do this by learning or mastering a new skill. You could learn how to solve a Rubix cube by clicking here. Or, you could learn how to play the violin. As long as you’re learning something new and increasing your knowledge, you are good to go!
Communicate with your roommate. It’s not okay to isolate yourself completely. If you’re going to be spending time in college as well as your dorm room, it’s time to make some new friends. Start by communicating with your roommate. Ask them about their likes and dislikes, their hobbies etc and tell them about yours. You might end up making some really good friends at college.