Young men and women in college are taking cardiovascular disease far too lightly. They are ignoring the warnings signs and the threat. In fact, only 25% of those questioned, realized that heart disease is the most common cause of death to women. It’s time we opened up your eyes to the fact that the threat of heart disease is being ignored by college students. Somehow we’ve got to ensure you and your peers are informed.
While True Health Diagnostics can help diagnose cardiovascular disease early on, that means actually going to the doctor. Their labs are set up to accurately diagnose, prevent, and manage heart disease, as well as diabetes, genetic disorders, and other metabolic problems. This helps them achieve better patient outcomes. But, when it comes to college students, the risk of these health concerns has to be realized first.
What Do You Know?
According to a thesis survey conducted by Kristina Collins, most college kids think cancer is their number one health concern. Of course, that’s not surprising since there has been a lot of money invested in cancer, particularly breast and colon cancer, awareness. So, perhaps the media is to blame for how little college students know about heart disease.
Collin’s survey asked more than 1400 students a series of open ended questions. There were 35 of them, and the answers suggested that the students surveyed were not well-informed about cardiovascular disease. At the time of publication (2004), this was one of the largest studies of its kind.
One professor suggested that students should realize that tobacco usage (including smoking), and a sedentary lifestyle are the greatest contributor to the disease. Of course, high blood pressure, alcohol consumption, and poor nutrition can also be problematic. Sadly, many of these factors are quite prevalent in the lives of college students.
You can read the rest of that research here.
Drinking and Heart Health
We mentioned the fact that alcohol consumption plays a part in the potential development of cardiovascular disease. And, since college students have a tendency to drink more than they should, more frequently than they should, it seemed important to discuss drinking and heart health. We want you to be as well informed as possible, because we want you to prevent your own development of cardiovascular disease.
Studies show that there’s more than a hangover attached to frequent binge drinking. Slamming multiple drinks in a limited amount of time can immediately affect your circulation. And, the binge drinking going on in college has become all the more destructive and pervasive to student’s future health. It is neurotoxic and can cause serious consequences to the cardiovascular system, even in young adults.
Those of you in college who fall in the 18-25 age range are at the highest risk for binge drinking. Studies on older adults who regularly participate in binge drinking shows that they are at hugely increased risks for stroke, heart attacks, and even sudden cardiac death. However, studies on younger individuals had not be been performed.
So, when the authors of a 2013 study chose to test binge drinkers and those that abstain, they found that the drinkers had impaired cell function in the arena of blood flow. This is a precursor to hardening of the arteries and other cardiovascular diseases.
We suggest you walk away from all your binge drinking escapades and begin taking your health more seriously. We understand that you are young and want to have fun, but we suspect you want to be able to live a full life as well. You can’t do that if your heart stops beating. Drinking really isn’t worth it. But, if you don’t believe us, read this.
College is freedom for most students thus, they are free to travel and explore at their own leisure. Most would love visiting different food and tourist spots, especially if they’re students from abroad. Consider Ace Rent a Car for a good travel experience, not only is it affordable but also satisfying. Ace car hire in Perth that’s cheap and any student can pick a car of their own choice not having to worry about their budget. In case of parties such as prom nights or any other celebrations, Ace Rent a Car is also easily accessible for traveling and arriving at the party in style.
What is Ace Rent a Car?
Ace Rent a Car is a company that offers customers the best cars they have for hiring in a reasonably affordable price. It has been a long running business of the best car hires that it grew to have 350 branches all over the world and Perth in Australia is one which operates up until now for over 30 years. The company offers a wide variety of cars from SUVs, commercial vans, sedans, and other new models. Services are also guaranteed to be at every customer’s satisfaction.
Why Choose Ace Rent a Car?
It is more convenient for students and at the same time more satisfying. It is also less a hassle and time consuming. All of these are for the following reasons:
- Affordable and Efficient: Aside from the prices being reasonably cheap, the cars are also thoroughly washed and cleaned all over, inside and out. Inspection and checking are also done by mechanics each time to ensure the perfect condition of each car.
- Reliable and Safe: As mentioned above, thorough checking is done hence the customers are sure to be safe and secure. Assistance by the staff is also at the ready whenever it is needed or required. Any questions are sure to be answered and any problems that may arise are sure to be addressed properly.
- Easily accessible: Due to its location near the airport, students from abroad can be easily transferred to and from it via the company’s shuttle. From there, anyone arriving at their branch is welcomed by the staffs that are very accommodating and efficient.
- Customer friendly: The Company does not discriminate its customer. Anyone who wishes to travel can choose any car they desire at a cheap price. The company and its staff will also extend the same courtesy and assistance to all its customers. You can look it up on their Facebook page by clicking here.
- High standard of services: Since the company has been in business for a long time they are already accomplished. This makes them ensure customers are guaranteed to come back or give recommendations. Students are sure to enjoy their travel and also to arrive safely at their destination.
- Best quality and a wide range of choices: There are different car choices available and all are guaranteed to be at their top condition. Maintenance is assured and all choices are readily available when a student is interested in hiring a certain car.
A college student usually has the urge to travel and explore as they become separated from their families. Although students tend to have lesser budget since allowances and extravagances vary, and that’s where Ace Rent a Car comes in to help and provide students the perfect solution by offering a high quality and efficient cars for at an affordable price. Satisfaction is definitely guaranteed. If any case you are in Perth and went through with Ace Rent a Car, be sure to check this site and not miss out on any tourist spots in Perth.
Most people might laugh at the prospect of a healthy student at college especially in their first year. With parties, junk food and heaps of fun it is hard to think of gaining weight and perhaps consuming too much unhealthy carbohydrates. The campus gym is usually the last thing on a student’s mind and for this reason it is important to be weary and to make sure you consume all the necessary nutrients and keep up an exercise routine. Click here to read more about essential nutrients in every diet.
It is important to avoid spreading germs at college. Wash your hands as frequently as you can to avoid spreading or getting nasty germs. As important as washing hands you should also cover your mouth if you sneeze or cough. Don’t share utensils with your college roommate. It is also great to carry a trusty hand sanitizer with you to avoid the spread even more. Daily showers are a good idea but make sure you wear flip flops as this could be quite unhygienic.
As previously mentioned a good exercise routine is crucial to stay healthy. You don’t necessarily have to sign up with a gym as there are many ways to stay fit on campus. Take a look at this fitness blog to find inspiration and practice some of the best exercises for ultimate fitness and health. You will really benefit from the information and different exercise routines you will find on this website.
It is hard to get used to food that is not lovingly prepared by your mom at first. This is why it is incredibly important to eat smart. Eating heavy meals late at night is no good for you. Try and stick to high fiber and high protein diets to get the most of your day. If you have to live on takeaways make sure you make healthy choices. Click here for some great student recipes.
You will be enjoying a whole new social life and it will be challenging not to be sleep depraved at this time in your life. It is important that you make sure you get regular and sufficient sleep. It needs to be good quality sleep that will give you the rest you need to be able to deal with the daily challenges that you will have to face. Try and keep your bedtime as consistent as you possibly can. As a student you should also try and keep your mood up by avoiding depression and anxiety and giving yourself enough time to relax and unwind after a long study session. Eating right, sleeping and exercise combined will give you the tools you need to stay healthy in your first year.
Stay happy by dating safely and getting rest when you need it, this is your first independence in life and you should have a ball but you should also do it in moderation so that your studies and more importantly your health doesn’t get affected. It is in your hands to keep up the good routines that you used to practice at home.
One of the most ideal approaches to ensure you abstain from giving into impulses and cravings when eating out is to ensure you don’t go out hungry. Eating a simple snack like an apple or a modest bunch of almonds will guarantee you are not eating with your eyeballs. In the event that you are not feeling starving, it will be easier to pick solid alternatives and eat smaller portions. Make sure you consume organic spirulina powder before heading out to ensure that your energy levels stay up.
Check the menu beforehand
Most eateries nowadays have their menu listed on the web. Set aside the opportunity to take a look at it and plan what you will be eating. Break down what they bring to the table and which alternatives are on the sound side. A few eateries have the nourishment data of their food on the web as well. On the off chance that they don’t, you can utilize a calorie counter application to make sense of generally how much calories the dinner would have. Choose what you need to arrange in advance, that way, you are not offering into desires or settling on hurried choices at the eatery.
Request half portions
More often than not, the serving sizes at eateries are sufficient sustenance for two individuals, in some cases even for a whole family. When requesting, it’s justified, despite all the trouble to inquire as to whether they offer half portions for courses. If not, ask them split the portions down the middle before it even gets served to you. Maybe request that a companion split the dish with you, then you are both not over-eating. On the other hand, ask the server to simply present to you a half portion of the feast and box up the staying half at the kitchen for you to bring home later. That way, you don’t risk indulging on the grounds that the food is before you.
Arrange a side plate of mixed greens first
Don’t arrange a full-sized plate of mixed greens from the serving of mixed greens menu. Regularly, these servings of mixed greens are a full feast all alone and are recently heaped with undesirable fixings like heaps of cheddar. Rather, ask the server whether they offer simple side servings of mixed greens or a veggie plate. You simply need a basic and little, no favor dressings, sound starter to hold you over till your feast and ensure that you are not gorging in light of the fact that you’re excessively eager.
Request the dressings to be on the side
A serving of mixed greens is pretty healthy, right? Sorry to break it to you, but not really. Although basic servings of mixed greens are healthy in principle, most eateries include so much additional items. Vegetables are beneficial for you, however then you include cheddar, bread garnishes, meat, a huge amount of dressing… Well, you should decide on the burger in case you’re numbering calories. When requesting a serving of mixed greens, recognize the unfortunate additional items, for example, dressing, cheddar and bread garnishes, and request it to be on the side. That way, you can control the amount you have on your plate of mixed greens and you’re not eating vegetables doused in greasy dressings.
If you spend your days putting in serious effort at work, sometimes you just want to cut loose and have a great night out. But if you are giving your job everything you have, how do you find the energy for a fun night in the clubs? By following some of the tips below.
Eat a Healthy Dinner
When you’re planning a night out, it can be tempting to grab some greasy bar food instead of having a proper meal. But choosing something fried and heavy may actually make it harder to keep yourself going into the wee hours of the morning. Instead of diving into the nearest plate of nachos and hot wings, give yourself a real meal featuring lean protein and some fresh vegetables. That way, you have the right kind of fuel in place to keep your body moving, and you’ll avoid some unhealthy fats too.
The mild symptoms of dehydration include a tired feeling and sense of fatigue, and neither of those will help you have a great night out on the town. So, before you hit your first bar or club, make sure you give yourself a chance to have a glass of water or two. And then make sure you have a drink here and there that doesn’t necessarily contain alcohol or caffeine to help keep you going throughout the night.
Now, it is important to note that drinking water does not counteract the effects of alcohol in any notable way, but it can help alleviate any effects of dehydration that a night of drinking and dancing can lead to.
Some supplements may help you feel more energized and alert, allowing you to have fun throughout the night even if you already worked through a long day. The best nootropic stack options available may improve cognitive function, which might help you stay more alert or think more clearly. It may also give your energy levels a boost.
But, just like drinking water, supplements won’t counteract the effects of alcohol, so it is best to plan accordingly.
You don’t have to literally dance the night away to have a good time. Instead, listen to your body and, if you feel you need to have a seat for a few minutes, don’t be afraid to take a break. Most clubs and bars have a reasonable amount of seating available, so options should be available at least periodically throughout the evening.
No When to Call It
Sometimes, everything is just going to catch up with you. After a long workday (or week), you might not have as much energy as you were hoping for. If you find yourself getting tired, then it may be better to call it a night and head home. Then, you can get a good night’s sleep and get back to your life the next day.
However, if you have had a few drinks, make sure that you arrange for a ride home even if you drove your car to the bar or club. Between traditional taxis and other car services like Uber and Lyft, you should be able to find a ride pretty quickly. Then, you can make it home without putting your or anyone else’s safety at risk.
When you are in college, you know that one of the hardest things that you can do is to eat healthy. This can be hard to do because you first have to focus on studying for your tests, doing your assignments and at the same time, finding time to spend with your friends. There will be days when you just want to party and drink alcohol but once you are already experiencing one of the worst hangovers of your life, you cannot help but vow that you just want to want to eat healthy. How are you going to do that?
It will help if you have all the right tools that will make preparing food an easy task for you to accomplish. For instance, you would like to have the best chef knife set so that when you are preparing salad, you can easily cut the vegetables into pieces that you want. You can eat carrot sticks as snacks and just prepare a scrumptious dip that you would love to share with your roommate and other friends.
You may think that college is not the best place to start eating healthy but if you would not start here? When are you going to start? Do you think that it will be better when you are already working? The earlier that you establish healthy eating habits, the better it would be for you. Here are some tips that you ought to remember to begin eating healthy in college:
- Instead of eating other candy bars and chocolates for sweets, opt to eat fruit instead. You may think that the fruit is the least appealing dessert that you can find in your canteen but take it even if you do not know if you truly want it or not. Eating fruit will be the best way to cap off your meal and it will make you feel fuller for a longer period of time.
- Treat some food as treats. Perhaps you have always loved all meat pizza but you know that one slice can give you so many calories that you would need to workout for days in order to remove the amount of calories you have gotten. At the same time, you cannot deny the fact that pizza is full of grease and salt. Find high quality food that you can reward yourself with as a treat. This will let you condition yourself to not eat the food everyday.
- You have to pay attention to what your body is trying to say. Why are you eating? Are you eating because your body is saying that you are hungry or you are only eating because the time says that you should eat. Your body knows if it needs food or not but if you would not take your body seriously, you may end up under-eating or overeating. You can check out some recipes of food you can prepare here.
Another thing that you should remember is to not eat hours before you go to sleep. You may be tempted to take food before sleeping because you are feeling hungry but because your body is at rest, it will be harder for your body to digest the food.
While you may be enjoying your significant night life, the truth is, you could be doing damage to your health. Let’s face it, we know college is, undoubtedly, the time of your life. But, we also know that it can make or break you. All those parties and late nights can take their toll. That’s why we wanted to inform you of the health risks you will face as a college student. Take these issues seriously, and do what’s necessary to protect yourself.
One big thing we notice with college kids is the propensity for tooth decay. We recommend you visit an Overland Park Dentist on a regular basis. Given the fact that college kids eat way too many sugary foods, and drink far too many sodas, cavities are on the rise during the college years. You will need a dentist who puts your needs first and will provide you the starting point to a healthy smile. And, by the way, your teeth can impact your whole body’s health!
Other Significant Health Issues
College kids have a lot on their minds and their health frequently gets pushed to the back. This is why these other significant health-related issues arise. It is time to be informed about the health risks you will face as a college student. Here they are:
- Lack of sleep– Sleep deprivation is a common problem among college students. And though it is easy to laugh off the tired feelings created by all-nighters, there are additional effects attached to sleep deprivation that you might not even realize. Anxiety and irritability, as well as weight gain can be attributed to not getting enough sleep. Read this to learn more about sleep deprivation, its effects, and ways to avoid it.
- Eating disorders– This issue is no laughing matter. Eating disorders, like bulimia and anorexia, stem from a need to keep things in control. Unfortunately, we can’t provide you with a statistic about how rampant these issues are on campus, but we can tell you that 10-20% of people dealing with an eating disorder will die from complications that arise from that disorder. College can be hugely stressful and some people find that stress too difficult to handle. In an effort to regain some semblance of control in life, those individuals will begin to control their caloric intakes. If you know someone who is demonstrating the signs you can read about here, please get her help, immediately!
- Mental health- As we mentioned previously, college can be an incredibly stressful time. The transition that occurs in living arrangements and responsibilities can create a mind that is easily troubled. Stress, anxiety, and depression are common issues among college students who are now wondering why they are here and who they are. These questions, though necessary for growth, can become too burdensome for some students. Unfortunately, some of your peers will turn to drugs and alcohol to alleviate the mental pressure within. And, statistically, the third leading cause of death in kids your age, is suicide. If you are struggling with depression, or suicidal thoughts, or know someone who is, it’s time to contact a professional. Learn more about suicide by following the link provided.
We didn’t include the STD risks that are equally problematic in college students, but you should definitely practice abstinence. If you need help with that read this. Have fun in college, sure, but stay healthy at the same time!
Prepping for university or college proves to be quite challenging. Can exercising actually make this experience better for you? Yes it can. Exercising is good for everyone and in any situation. It is a way to keep your brain sharp and your body healthy and active. Leaving home is a big change for students which sometimes have a negative effect on them. The comforts of home are no longer accessible and that includes mom’s home cooked meals. Students end up eating unhealthy foods that aren’t good for them and that can cause weight gain or health issues.
That is our first benefit of exercise for students. You can easily gain one too many pounds by eating takeout or foods with no nutritional value at University. By working out you eliminate that risk and this will also keep you healthier while you are studying. Stress-eating is also a real problem for certain individuals because of their studies and exam stress. Click here to read more about stress-eating. Instead of taking part in unhealthy habits you can adopt a healthy exercise routine to keep your mind calm and your body in tip top shape.
It has also been scientifically proven that exercise boosts your immune system which means you won’t have to miss classes or exams because of the dreaded flu virus. You can stay healthy by exercising and taking the right vitamins and supplements. Your brain loves it when your body is healthy so by exercising prepare yourself for a clever mind and an interactive study experience. Missing out on classes can have a disastrous effect on your studies and may cause you to be held back for a semester. Click here for more information about vitamins and supplements for study.
It has become a fad for outdoor gyms to be installed in parks and public areas. These are fantastic structures that will give you a great opportunity to get fit. Take a look at buiten fitness to read more about outdoor gym structures. You will now be able to do health walking in an outdoor setting while having fun with your fellow students. This is a great way to get fit and with no electricity required you can do some of the best exercises outside. Remember that exercise also helps you sleep better which is a great benefit because it is reported that students find it hard to sleep during their first time away from home or while sleeping at a dorm. Getting enough sleep is vital for students because you need to be alert and awake in classes.
Exercising is also great to handle stress. You can easily decrease stress by doing exercises every day. You release endorphins when you exercise which will keep your spirits up and your mind and body stress-free. Exercise is an investment in your health and should be a crucial part of your daily life. You will reduce the risk of heart disease and various other invasive medical conditions.
The freshman fifteen would appear to be the inevitable condition of the majority of people attending college. But, what if that old adage could be reversed. What if you chose to change the freshman fifteen to a fit fifteen. Now, that doesn’t mean an extra fifteen pounds. Instead, it means you allot 3 fifteen minute intervals throughout your day to invest in staying fit.
Having been there and done that college thing, with the extra weight to prove it, we would like to offer you the ability to benefit from our lessons learned. We feel pretty confident that you can convince your parents to get you one of the better dumbbell sets if you let them know your intentions to stay physically fit. Besides, you can use them to do curls while you study. Think about that!
Tips for Staying Fit in College
Attending college is part of your life agenda. You have chosen to pursue higher education because there’s a dream career waiting at the other end of that degree. Or at least that is the idea. But, before you can get there, you will need to invest lots of time and energy in study. While focusing all your mental fortitude on making the grade is certainly advantageous, there are other avenues of life that will need your attention as well.
Since we are certain you want to leave college better off than you entered it, it seems prudent to advise you to view that as a whole body endeavor. Take this time to become the best you, academically and physically, you can be. There’s no better time than now to get in shape intellectually and bodily. So, here are tips for achieving that position:
- Make a Plan– In the beginning of this piece we suggested that you set aside a total of 45 mins each day for the purpose of acquiring improved physical fitness. It seems far easier to do this in 15 minute sections because you will need to attend classes, eat, hang out with friends, and study as well. So, schedule these exercise sessions accordingly, but schedule them or else you will never do it. Here are some great apps to help you with the process.
- Utilize the Gym– Most colleges give their student’s access to a gym. This means you have all kinds of expensive exercise equipment at your disposal if you will just take the time to go use it. So, figure out when the gym is the least crowded and then make that time frame part of the schedule we just discussed. When there are less people there you will get more accomplished.
- Join a Team- College is prime time for intramural sports. There is no better experience than playing softball, flag football, or competitive Frisbee with your friends. These opportunities will help you train, they will keep you active, and you will have a lot of fun on the field.
- The 99 Workout– You will have to build up to the ability to actually do all this, but it’s a great place to start and it doesn’t require you to have any special equipment. Read this to learn more about it.
- Eat Right– This is our final tip but it is wholly relevant. It is easy to succumb to the freshman fifteen when you eat a lot of pizza and drink too much beer. Keep an eye on your food choices. Make good ones! Learn more.
You can go for the fit fifteen and prove that college really does incorporate the best years of your life.
Many college students find themselves short on funds on a regular basis. Whether it is long hours of studying that limit one’s ability to work, or the high cost of attending classes, finding ways to help bring certain costs down can make a big difference for a student on a budget.
One way to keep costs down, even for students in dorms, is to consider starting a small container-based vegetable garden. Not only can this help improve the food costs down by providing a supply of fresh vegetables, it can also bring in a pleasant, natural element into a living space.
Preparing for a Garden
In order to get the most use of your indoor container garden, it is important to plan for the basics. First, you will need to determine what you would like to grow, as this will help determine the size of the containers you will need. In cases where space is limited, it will be wise to use container sizes to help determine what plants will be ideal. Vegetable plants may be available in dwarf sizes, allowing them to be more easily planted in small containers, allowing for a wider range of options than if only full-sized variants are considered.
Since the plants will be placed in containers, you can choose to gather and prepare the soil in multiple ways. Some soils can be purchased by the bag from home improvement stores, though it is important to examine which options are best for the vegetables you are looking to grow. If you want to improve the quality of a soil yourself, creating your own compost may be ideal.
Jora makes a great composter for looking for a simple option to start composting on their own as long as you have the outdoor space. For those living in student housing, consider speaking with decision-makers at the university about starting a composting program using cafeteria waste for use by students or the public at large.
Planting the Vegetables in their Containers
In order to plant the vegetables in the most ideal fashion, you will need containers with drainage holes in the base as well as a dish to catch the water runoff. In the base of the container, you will want to add a layer of gravel to further promote proper drainage, followed by a layer of the proper soil.
Carefully remove the plant from its original pot from the retail store by gripping the plant firmly, but gently, near the roots to remove it from the pot. Place the root ball in the middle of the new container making sure it lies approximately two inches below the rim.
Add or remove soil accordingly to fill the space, and then press down firmly on the soil to compact it a bit in order to provide the necessary support to the plant. Water the plant where the base of the plant meets the soil, adding more as necessary based on the needs of the specific variety.
Maintenance and Harvesting
Continue to water the vegetables based on their individual needs, and consider adding an appropriate fertilizer on approximately a month basis to provide additional nutrients. As the vegetables reach the desired size, carefully remove them from the rest of the plant and enjoy the results of your hardwork.